Things you can do TODAY to improve your eating habits if you’re trying to lose weight:
- Switch from full sugar soda to diet soda.
- Limit or cut out chips, cakes, and candy- save them for special occasions.
- Limit your alcohol intake.
- Prepare more of your own food. Make breakfast(the night before even) and pack a lunch. Have a plan for dinner.
- Outsource if you need to. If you can’t prepare lunch, use a food service that provides the macronutrient breakdown. If dinner takes too long to prepare, use a service like Blue Apron.
- Watch the condiments: ketchup and mayo can add up quick. Watch the other stuff as well (peanut butter, guacamole, hummus, etc…They’re fine in moderation, but mindlessly eating them can quickly pack on the calories).
- Dressing on the side! The dressing is another area calories can really add up. At some restaurants, a salad can pack more calories than a hamburger. Don’t assume. Always check if possible, and go for the dressing on the side.
- Aim for just a little bit less or a little bit better. If you normally eat 3 eggs for breakfast, can you go to 2? If you love to have popcorn at night, can you measure out a serving and put it in a bowl, instead of eating from the bag? A little bit over the long haul, as Dan John would say.